Saturday, June 16, 2007

Oh Yeah....What did you do last night?

Soooo.....I got this insane idea to go out walking.....at, oh....around midnight!

The thing is, this friend of mine, she saw me at lunch with the family yesterday, and she mentioned she would be doing the "relay for life" walk at the field that evening. I knew she was a cancer survivor, and I had donated towards her walk, I had not kept track of the day though. She reminded me the walk was from 6:00 PM to 6:00 AM **what survivor wants to walk for 12 hours straight, through the middle of the night** I don't judge....to each their own. I casually asked if she had a lot of people walking with her on her team......six.........that is it......for twelve stinking hours! That is crazy I tell you! She said I should stop by if I was out...........what, like walking the streets at 3:00 AM? I am not that kind of girl anymore....*snicker*

Well....go figure, I put my walking shoes on at midnight, rather than sleep.....and went walking for an hour.........listened to the radio station, which was set up on the field, was humbled by the luminaries lining the field giving it a beautiful glow.....all in "memory" or "survivor" names. It was actually more peaceful than you would think.........Mister had stayed up waiting for me, and when I came home.....I snuggled in, a little bit closer....peeked in on the babes, and said a prayer of thankfulness.............I am so blessed. Oh yeah, and I never found her.........maybe I was there for me, and not her.....who knows.

9 comments:

Amanda said...

What a great friend you are! Sounds like a great reminder of what is most important in life and not to take it for granted.

ps. I'd love to meet for lunch sometime when you are in town. Let me know! :D

BIG RICH said...

Sounds like you went for a walk on maple street, USA. Night is a great time to walk, less traffic. I like your musaa..k

SoDak Angel said...

Amanda--You got it, lunch next time I am in town.

Howdeee Big Rich--I bet it was about as tranquil! Welcome over here...Musaak is nice! Thanks

Jenny said...

Thanks for stopping by....I am posting that recipe for the chocolate peppermint coffee today!! And it was nice of you to go walking for your friend at midnight...and even nicer for Mister to wait up for you. ;) We call that "dessert" around my blog!

Christi said...

Oh, I can't believe you went walking at midnight!

Thanks for stopping by my blog - hope you're having a great day!

Unknown said...

That post gave me goose bumps- great job describing it, you took me there with you.

b. said...

you're a good friend. I'm glad the late hour was worth it.

aubrey said...

that is so cool that you did that. at my last job, i was trying to get the company to do it but no one signed up, so we finally never did it. so, i feel really unworthy compared to you. you're cool.

Super Happy Girl said...

You are so cool!
And a super good friend. Of course.