Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Rocky Mountain High....Colorado...Nah...Alaska!

Sooo.....I am practically famous.....many know this, and I will now tell those of you who missed it, exactly why I am practically famous.


The summer of 1993....(yeah, I am so old now....I refer to years things happened, rather than my age.....what of it?) I began working at a fishing resort in Alaska. It was on the Prince of Whales Island, named Waterfall Resort. I had an "in" as my older brother Bruv, had spent three summers there before me.


It is a 5 star Resort, which just means fancy schmancy--so there is a share of people who come there to fish, who have fame and fortune. There has been a good amount of professional sportsman.......Football players, golfers, baseball players, basketball players, and boxers. A Couple of those, off the top of my head are: Steve Garvey, Doug Hart, Larry Csonka, to name a few. There was also the professional fisherman, Babe Winkelman, who never misses a year. Ron Popeil, the inventor and infomercial guru....I mustn't forget Barron Hilton...yeah, you know who's.....Grandfather, (who just recently took her out of his will, and is donating her 60 million to charity...tee hee.) He would bring his yacht each year, and go fishing. He is in the second picture......with his guide, who still works there. There was also this one guy who played for the Miami Heat.....I took him for a walk up to the Waterfall.....he was afraid of bears.....apparently......he didn't make much of an impression on me.....cuz I forgot his name.....he did hide BEHIND me when we came upon a black bear on the trail....wuss.


Each year Senators from all 50 states, and representatives all come to the Resort. In addition Federal Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, and the Speaker of the House, Dennis Hastert (he is in the first picture....with the artist, and wife....and Mr. President) have also come to fish......I know.....I AM practically famous. I worked there, and saw them all!


The biggest Celebrity in my humble opinion would have to be......


This is for you Carrot....who is his biggest fan!..JOHN DENVER! Oh yes my friends, he did......not only that.......I invited him to a bon-fire on the beach.....ME....I did that! He agreed to come.......IF I could find him some Zinc lozenges......mission accomplished! What.......you don't believe me? I have proof!


This is me in the white hat....peering through the windows the day he got off the float plane.....trying to be inconspicuous.....WITH his guitar strapped to his back!



That is him on the left....in the hat....Come on....really it is!

SEE! There he is, singing on the beach, in front of the bonfire!

That is Steve Garvey on the far left, in the tan jacket....I know, right! Only John Denver would do that, and do it with cowboy boots on....could he be ANY cooler? Roasting marshmallows too....I know it is so over the top, I knew you wouldn't believe me if I didn't have proof....I was THERE!
I was his beer girl, yes I was.....I got him beer.....AND opened them so he wouldn't damage his strumming fingers! What, you don't believe me, I was there.....IS THAT WHAT YOU ARE SAYING?! I was too!


Ah.....see....there I am.....blue jacket....holding a Country Time lemonade......I should have gotten paid for that advertisement.....my pretty red headed friend there is telling Mr. John Denver that I am a star......and I can sing like an Angel! That IS what she is saying....really!


See.....there he is.....in total awe! So is the silly lady in the white turtle neck....she just can't even help but stare at me, because I am awesome! There you have it.....see.....practically famous!


Singing like an Angel.....I brought out the Northern Lights.....even though John Denver told his girlfriend HE brought them for her.....I think it was my singing.....giggle.

16 comments:

aubrey said...

holy moly. you weren't kidding! and you've run into a black bear? you are superwoman. or lumberjack jane. i have so much more respect for you.

Amanda said...

I bow to your coolness! I had no idea you were so famous. My parents were huge John Denver fans. We had every one of his records.

Super Happy Girl said...

I see the Angel Bunny!
I was hoping you'd tell us where the resort was and that you'd have pics.
All my dreams have come true :D

Tori :) said...

Wow. You are awesome. And I thought I was cool because I served Tony Dorsett (Dallas Cowboys) his baked potato at a restaurant. You have pictures. You rock.

Carrot Jello said...

I am so jealous. So incredibly jealous. Do you know how lucky you were? Do you??

Melissa said...

That is so awesome! Can I tell people that I know you? Sort of... :)

Heffalump said...

I grew up listening to John Denver and still have a soft spot for his music. I was very sad when he died.

SoDak Angel said...

Aubrey--black bears and everything. I like Lumberjack Jane...sounds so dainty. Ahh...thanks!

Amanda--I know...it is tough to know someone....you know someone like me....Famous....practically.

NCS--Ahh...Angel Bunny...about the same time...few months later...heelarious...I have just an insane amount of pictures of the Resort....super time in my life...truly.

Tori--yep...pictures...proof! I even have pictures of some famous internet girlies in their jammies...might have to break those out if I have to again proove my coolness.

Carrot--I wish you could have been there, I am sure you would have actually sang like an Angel. I know I didn't appreciate it as much as I could have, but see....now you have pictures of the intimate moment...you can say you were the fire girl....sounds much better than beer girl.

Melissa--you can totally tell people your friend had a bon fire with John Denver...spread the word!

Heffalump--I know I was more affected by his death, cuz I felt like I actually did know him, even if just for a few hours. He sang "leaving on a float plane for us." I bet that was the first, and only time he sang it that way. Amazing.

b. said...

Hey, that one chick has a spider on her neck.....somebody should tell her.
I love John Denver, is he naked in that pic on your player? Oh, wait...no, he has a necklace on.

You are practically famous!

carrie said...

John Denver was my first love. If I had been there I would have made a complete fool of myself by trying to sit on his lap or something like that.

I have one thing to say Angel...LUCKY!

b. said...

I'm totally hangin' out here today to hear JD sing!
Thanks Angel!

Suzanne said...

Did you not wash your hands for a week after holding John Denver's beer? ;) Ahh...memories! :)

Unknown said...

Rest in peace, Mr. Denver. We miss you.

Just to remind you all... I met SoDak first!

Jean Knee said...

if we ever meet in person, can I touch the hand you gave him his beer with?

MSVZzzz said...

i believe every word! thats definitely for sure!!

Super Happy Girl said...

More!
MOOORE!!!!