Monday, November 12, 2007

Follow up on.....one year ago this week...

Bleary eyed, Mister, Sass, Fash and I walked out of the heart clinic......with two pamphlets in hand.

One pamphlet was on the Elecrophysiology study, (EP study)......the other on Catheter ablation. Oh yeah, and they told us I would likely be in the hospital for at least three days following surgery, to see how I respond to medications, and observation etc.

It is intriguing to me the sort of things that run through a person's mind during times like this.....I am embarrassed about the things I was concerned about.....seem so silly now.....but, they are the things that go through your mind.

Me-"This is just perfect.....what are we going to do about Fash's birthday.....this totally screws up your hunting plans with your family this week......we are NEVER going to be able to afford this!"

Mister, always the reasonable, sensible, loving man he is......slams on the brakes of Vinnie....and says, "SoDak! I don't really care if we go bankrupt, and live in a tent! We only work with you in our lives, with you healthy, I don't care about anything else after that!"

Me-"oh.....um, yeah....there is that."

Me-"I haven't even called my mom"

Mister-"You can call her tonight"

Me-"kay"

We drove around for a bit......not really knowing what we were doing. We hadn't eaten since morning, and we were sneaking up on 6 pm. I called a good friend of mine from my town, who is a cardiac rehab nurse, and gave her my diagnosis.....to sort of get a feel for what I was in for. I honestly heard her gasp on the phone.....silence.....then she evidently composed herself, and told me over and over...."this is going to be fine.....it is all just going to be just fine. What are your plans for the boys?"

"Crap"

We ended up at a Tac0 Bell, Mister the boys and I went in and ordered, and Mister went back out to Vinnie......not sure what he was doing, but we finished nearly all our food before he came back inside.

Mister-"I called Moomie (sister in love), and she and husband are coming tomorrow morning at about 7 am, they are going to take the boys indefinitely back to their house. I also called Bruce (co-worker) and we will be staying the night with him, he is close to the hospital. I have also called my Dad, and they are going to make phone calls to the rest of my family, I have the dog taken care of, the neighbors will let her out, and I am on vacation.....indefinitely."

Me-"kay"

Mister-"After we finish here, we will go pick some more clothes up for the boys, and pack them up a bag to go to Auntie's house, we can call your family when we get to Bruce's house tonight."

Me-"kay"

We did a serious shopping spree for clothes, grunders, socks, jammies, toys, (as Auntie's kids are grown) coloring books....etc. Clothes for Mister, and chocolates for me, and all the people stepping in to assist us.

I called my family that evening at Bruce's house.....and got to bed about midnight.

6 am- check in, more x-ray's, blood work etc. Auntie and husband got to the hospital about 15 minutes before I went in for surgery, I was groggy, but so glad I got hugs before I went in, now Mister won't be waiting with the children alone.

Right before surgery began, I was told I would be awake during the procedure. They strapped me down flat, with my head completely turned to the side, and I was to remain in this position for the duration of the expected four hour surgery.

After 4 hours.....they called in the other heart surgeon for consult. The two surgeons continued to work for an additional 3 hours, after the 5th hour, they did give me enough medication....I did sleep.

They kept Mister informed of the goings ons every hour. The reason the surgery was as long as it was, seems they expected to find one arrhythmia......but found at least 7. They chose to stop the procedure, after 4 ablations, and schedule an additional surgery. They anticipated an additional 3 to 4 hours longer, to complete the ablation.

I was required to lay completely horizontal for an additional 4 hours, to prevent blood clots, and or the openings to re-open.

I was still groggy, and goofy through the remainder of the night, said goodbye to my babies, who each brought me a balloon......and off they went.

For dinner I had saltines spread with peanut butter, which Mister lovingly prepared.

Would you believe the next morning, though still hospitalized, I felt better then I think I had ever felt as far back as I could recall. I had energy oozing from me!

We were in the hospital for an additional 4 days. During that time I got flowers, balloons, phone calls.....seems everyone was well informed. Reason was, while I was out, Mister kept everyone we knew very well informed via email messages.

We met Auntie and husband, and picked up our boys, what a thrill it was to see them both.

The next day Sass ended up having strep throat, and life began rolling again right away.

A friend of mine contacted practically everyone she knew, and set up enough meals, frozen and fresh for the rest of November, and most of December.......I am indebted to her still. What an outstanding gift that was.

When we left the hospital, we understood, the next surgery to complete the ablations would be scheduled for December 22nd.



Stay tuned for the rest of the story.....coming soon.

13 comments:

Acacia said...

I swear...the people that step in and help with child care, meals, pets, etc. are sent from God. What a blessing they must have been to you and your family at that time. Can't wait for the next installment, and I'm glad your surgery went well!

Amanda said...

Holy cow SoDak! That is some story! Thanks for sharing! I can't imagine living with that for so long! I know how hard it was on my little guy. No wonder you felt so good after the surgery was over. What a blessing that everyone stepped up and helped out. can't wait to hear the rest.....

Super Happy Girl said...

Holy Moly.

(((Hugs)))

And a happy dance!

Chellie said...

Wow... I can't wait for part 2. You are amazing and strong.

Klin said...

Please, Please tell me that we don't have to wait until Dec 22nd to hear the rest!

So glad you had angels to help you through this time.

Elizabeth-W said...

Wow!!! I think that's what I said last time, too. 7 seems like a lot, and sure explains why you felt so much better.
I'm waiting to hear the rest, too... :)

Tori :) said...

I'm crying. (((HUGS)))
That is all. :)

Deena said...

How crazy to be awake during such a procedure--and for so long! It's awesome that you have such an incredible support system.

MSVZzzz said...

:'-(

nah

:'-)

i love you.

sigh.

Unknown said...

You have done a fantastic job of retelling the story. I think Mister was just trying to keep himself busy rather then accept the fact that his lovely bride was hurting and he could do nothing about it. Sometimes things do seem to happen for a reason. You have never been more beautiful and I have never truly appreciated the people around us as I do now.

Unknown said...

Still blows me away.

aubreyannie said...

wow. how amazing that you felt energetic immediately following your surgery. i am glad it went well and look forward to the continuation..

SoDak Angel said...

Thorny tree lady-Welcome! Yes! I truly am blessed. I am working on the next installment, sorry it has taken so long.

Amanday-I know, crazy right!? Stay tuned, it's a coming!

NCS-Loving the happy dance.

Chel-Thank you, I am working on it!

Kayelyn-you weren't supposed to have to wait until the 22nd, but it is starting to get awfully close to that, isn't it!

EW-stick around

Tori-sniff....crying...you are too sweet!

Glitters-I do have a great group of supporters, I am very lucky, and very blessed.

My-man-smooch.

Piny-you said I am "more beautiful" holy heck....awesome

Annie-me too sista!

Aubrey-come back, I am going to continue the saga....really I am.